Friday, December 3, 2010

To Santa or Not to Santa....That is the Question

I am having a hard time doing the socially acceptable thing this year. I don't know why this year is so much more difficult than every other year. Our 3 kiddos are super obsessed with "Santa" and his seemingly amazing magnificence. I have never really had a problem doing the Santa thing in the past. I guess it was because our previous kids knew the true meaning of Christmas. They knew that the idea of Santa was just for fun, and so it was no big deal for me.

This year is so different, because we haven't had the kids long enough to really have that kind of impact. They think that because they asked Santa for something, they are automatically getting it. Cebastian asked for a car AND a motorcycle that you can drive around...Seriously? Those things are like $300 bucks each!! He's not even getting one of them!

I am trying hard to work with them about the true meaning of Christmas. They understand that it is Jesus' birthday, but to be honest, it's just not that important to them. I have absolutely NO Santa decorations in my house, only Nativity type things. Yet, still they practically worship Santa. I feel like as a society we spend so much time and energy trying to convince our children that Santa is real. "He knows when you are sleeping...He knows when you're awake..." Then they at some point find out that it was all a big lie. Then we turn around and expect them to believe us when we tell them that Jesus is real. How can we expect them to believe in Jesus when their idea of Santa was proven false?

So I am not doing the Santa thing...I don't know how to avoid it without crushing the past 3, 5, and 6 years of their Christmases, but I am working on that. I will not focus this holiday season on a lie. This is a time of celebration of the birth of our Savior. It is not a time to "worship" some imaginary being. All Santa does is teach us to be selfish and be good so we can get things for ourselves. I want to send the focus outward. Let's do something for someone else because of what Jesus came to do for us!!!

I do want to clarify that I have no problems with anyone else celebrating Santa...but for me it just doesn't feel right anymore. I want my children to trust that what I am teaching them is TRUTH. I will not begin our lives together on lies.

Lord help me get through this holiday season with YOU as the focus. Help my 3 children see that you are the reason for the season, and that Santa is just like Mickey Mouse or any other fictional character!! Only you can open their hearts to your love. Use me to guide them to you!!

2 comments:

  1. Stand firm, Jenny! It's always encouraging to see people living out the truth that so many have forgotten, ignored or have not even been taught.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen.....we also feel that pressure...."what is Santa going to bring her?" You're doing great.

    ReplyDelete