Friday, September 10, 2010

My Heart Breaks For These Boys

Everyday, I am amazed by how these two boys can have such a positive outlook on life. They are so happy and easy going. It's crazy after all they've been through. But every once in a while, a tiny tidbid of their past life comes out.

Tonight
We are sitting in the car waiting for Brian to get some pizzas at Papa Murphy's. In that ten minute time frame we discussed everything from Hannah Montana, Justin Bieber(?), Barack O'bama, and Michael Jackson. Somewhere in that mix, they tell me that their mom has 1099 DVDs at her house. I say, "Oh, where does your mom live?" Really I am just being nosy as to what they truly know about their mom. Their response is that she is living in the hospital and she is really really sick. She didn't want them to get sick so that's why they can't be with her. I suppose it is some version of the truth, and so I left it at that. I did not provide any information about their mom.

In the car on the way home
One of the boys tells us "a really funny story" (according to him). He tells us that they were sleeping one night, all in the same bed. They were awoken to the sound of their dad getting arrested. He then tells us that their dad went to jail, because he was hitting their mom. "They were having a hitting race." He was laughing as he was telling us this story. Now, surely, the laughter is a defense mechanism. I pray that they really don't think it is funny for men to hit women or vice versa.

Our response
I am so sorry you boys had to see that. I promise you that in our home you will never see us hit each other. It is not nice for people to hit. Especially people who love each other. You don't have to worry about that here.

What else could we say?

Lord I pray that we say the right things when the kiddos open up to us. Give us your words so that they might find YOU!

1 comment: